- Bachelor of Arts: Dordt College, Sioux Center, Iowa
Major: Communication--Journalism emphasis
GPA: 3.45 on a 4.0 scale.
Click for transcript.
- Activities: World Journalism Institute, Washington DC, May 2004.
Secrets of Successful News Startups webinar, Poynter News University, January 2011.
Second Place, Web Presence, Division II, Michigan Associated Press Editorial Association, 2011.
- Government Reporter: Mlive Media Group | The Muskegon Chronicle, Muskegon, Michigan.
I write about local government, jobs and a few other things for Mlive.com's Muskegon hub and the Muskegon Chronicle.
January 2013 - present.
- Business Reporter: The Holland Sentinel, Holland, Michigan.
Plan stories and photos to cover regional economic trends, local industry and retail.
Write ten stories a week, meeting daily deadlines and breaking web updates throughout the day while working on enterprise features.
Produce a variety of media for the Sentinel website.
September 2011 – January 2013.
- Education Reporter: The Holland Sentinel, Holland, Michigan.
Planned stories and photos to cover five school districts and local college.
Wrote seven to ten feature and news stories a week, meeting daily deadlines while working on enterprise features.
Produced a variety of media for the Sentinel website.
October 2006 – August 2011.
- Editor: The Citizen-Journal, Boyne City, Michigan.
Wrote news and features articles, photography as needed.
Led office staff, plan stories and work with freelance editorial staff.
Assisted in newspaper production, pagination.
April 2006 – September 2006.
- Staff Writer: The Antrim County News, Bellaire, Michigan.
Wrote news, features and sports articles.
Took photos for stories, stand-alone features and sports.
May 2005 – March 2006.
- Web publishing platforms: Zope, Saxotech, WordPress, Blogger, Movable Type.
- Word processing: Microsoft Word, NewsEdit Pro
- Layout: InDesign
- References are available upon request.